In the same way thermal energy storage can be used to supplement a new or existing concentrating solar power facility and to increase its operating performance.
Thermal energy storage can be integrated into any form of CSP, be it tower, trough or linear Fresnel. The thermal energy storage is heated by concentrating heliostats (mirrors) and the resultant energy stored in the receiver is then used to:
- Keep the system warm overnight
- Heat the system up to reduce start up-time
- Superheat the steam flow to a higher temperature to increase system efficiency
- Provide additional flow at the end of the day to extend the plants running time into the evening peak; or
- Combination of all of the above